Saturday, February 9, 2013

The week in preview and heart shaped spritz cookies for Valentine's Day.

My Valentine to my family is always cookies.  According to my husband there could be no better gift.  Sometimes it is spritz, sometimes classic chocolate chip.  I have even made a salted caramel chocolate finger print cookie... whatever it is homemade cookies are my way of saying that I love you.

  
Spritz
From the Wisconsin Electric Power Company Christmas Cooky Book.  
(Wait... "Cooky"?)
I wish I knew when this cook book was published.  I would guess around 1974 as my grandma kept track of which cookies she made each year in the margin.  1974 was Molasses Cut-Outs and Oatmeal Date Squares, plus something called English Christmas Fruit Cake (not so sad I missed that one).  I know the Spritz recipe by heart, but I always get out the book just to page through and think of my grandma doing the same thing.
One funny thing, the cookbook seems to be promoting the use of electricity, like it is new and barely taking hold...  The back says "Electric Living...it's the way of today".  As opposed to what I wonder?  Firewood I suppose.

1 cup butter
1/2 cup plus 1 T sugar
1 egg
3/4 t salt
1 t vanilla
1/2 t almond extract
2 1/2 cup sifted flour

Cream butter; add sugar.  Blend in egg, salt, extracts, and flour.  Knead dough with hands until soft.  Press dough through cookie press onto cookie sheets.  Bake at 400 about 7-8 minutes.  Makes about 6 dozen.
I top them with Bakers White Chocolate and sugar sprinkles.  I have tried a variety of white chocolates but Bakers is still tops.


The week in preview

Sunday:  OK for once and for all, I am making the Crunchy Lemon Herb Topped Cod.  This is one meal that I just keep pushing back to the next week for some reason.  This time I plan it with asparagus and smashed potatoes.  I'll sprinkle both with my favorite Penzy's lemon pepper.  Looking forward to it now!
Monday and Tuesday: Tuscan bean soup with cheesy garlic bread.  This looks like a stew- really -with pancetta and kale.  I am craving white beans, what can I say.
Wednesday and Thursday: Deja Vu.  My favorite french dip in the slow cooker made with beef brisket.  It tasted so good last week that Dave and I both voted to have it again this week.  I am going to recreate the whole meal and have spicy sweet potato fries with lime sour cream dip.  One night salad, one night broccoli.
Friday: Black bean soup and chicken quesadilla.


No comments:

Post a Comment