Sunday, February 17, 2013

The best way to make Deviled Eggs and other tea party fare.

I think we can all agree... deviled eggs are party food.  Potluck at work or Christmas parties make me think "mmmm I hope someone brings deviled eggs".  And then I eat more than my fair share.  So as I was planning Ruby's 7th birthday party and she wanted a tea party, I decided this is my chance to make my own.  



Of course I went to Cooks Illustrated first.  However, after trying their technique I have to say it didn't go well.  They suggested putting the eggs in a pot, covering with an inch of water and bringing it to a boil.  Once there, turn off heat and cover for 10 minutes.  Once time is up, cool down in an ice bath.  What I got after all that was egg shells that splintered into a million little pieces and peeled off a layer of egg underneath.  Good thing eggs are inexpensive because I tossed my first dozen.

It was then that my husband shared his method.  He is an unlikely source of recipe suggestions, but seemed to have the experience to back it up (plus I had two more egg cartons).  He suggested starting the same way, but leaving the heat on to boil the eggs for 10 minutes.  Then perhaps the key is to just wait. Let the eggs come to room temperature in the water before peeling.  Not too cold, not too hot.  It worked!  Big pieces of shell peeled right off without taking any lovely egg white with them.  

Cooks Illustrated Basic Deviled Eggs
6 eggs
2 T mayo
1 T sour cream
1/2 t white vinegar
1/2 t spicy brown mustard
1/4 t sugar
1/8 t salt
1/8 t pepper

Combine the hard boiled yolks with other ingredients.  I pulsed them in the food processor for creaminess.  Then I plopped the mixture in a big ziplock bag, cut off a corner and piped them into the egg whites.  I garnished with a few Maldon sea salt flakes. 

Next time I may make one of the variations.  Think blue cheese, Worcestershire, dill... so many options.  I won't wait until the next party to do it either.



To complete the birthday/valentine/tea party I made nutella and jam sandwiches cut into heart shapes.



Chicken salad on toasted heart shaped bread for the adults.



And rice krispie treats for a goodie bag thank you.  These rice krispie treats are the best too, amped up with a little white chocolate, vanilla, and salt, they make you crave rice krispie treats again.  I'll blog about these real soon.  Don't tell Ruby, I am eating the last one right now...


No comments:

Post a Comment