Thursday, February 21, 2013

Surprise success. Seared salmon on wilted lemon pepper kale with greek orzo salad.

Let's just say that occasionally I make a meal mostly for me.  I would put this one in that category.  I really like salmon on some kind of wilted green.  I also love cucumber and feta together.  So I anticipated some groans when this hit the table, and groan they did.

But only until they had the required bites.  Then they were finishing off the "chicken" (I didn't correct them) and even the kale- which I really thought didn't stand a chance.  Ruby (7) actually said "More kale please".  Something I will never forget.


  
Two bunches kale
Lemon pepper to taste

I just washed and rough chopped the kale to start.  Then wilted it over low heat with a few tsp of olive oil for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.  I sprinkled on just a little lemon pepper and done.  It got a little crisp on the edges, sort of a kale-chip kind of thing going on.



Orzo
Pine nuts
Cucumber
Feta
Lemon juice
Olive oil

I love this little Greek inspired pasta salad.  It does have a few parts, but all very easy.  
Get water boiling and add a little salt.  Cook the orzo according to the package.
While the water is boiling toast the pine nuts over medium heat on the stove.  Do not burn the pine nuts. I did throw out a batch that I totally incinerated today.  *I sometimes set the timer, just so it goes off and I try to remember why I started it...
I like to half and remove the seeds before dicing the cucumber.  
Throw it all together with some feta, a splash of lemon juice, a dash of olive oil, and done.


As for the salmon, I just dry it with paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Heat a few tsp of olive oil over medium high heat.  Cook the salmon skin side up for about 5-6 minutes and flip cooking another 3-4 minutes.  And done.

So for such a fancy sounding, fish containing, vegetable and fruit filled dish, this was actually really a winner.



No comments:

Post a Comment