Friday, October 11, 2013

Soft Pretzels for Oktoberfest or Anytime Really

My new favorite food on the planet is homemade soft pretzels.  They are easy to make, and that is coming from someone formerly intimidated by yeast.  They are great alone right out of the oven.  They are also quite tasty dunked in beer cheese soup and are shockingly good as an egg sandwich for breakfast.  My inspiration came from Oktoberfest, but I will make these all year long.

The process itself is a little surprising.  To get that dark exterior and keep them dense instead of fluffy like bread... there is a step that involves boiling the raw pretzels in water and baking soda.  Not what I would have expected.  But when I opened the oven door that first time I was amazed to see what really looked like soft pretzels staring back at me.


Homemade Soft Pretzels
adapted from Cooks Illustrated

INGREDIENTS

  • 1teaspoon instant yeast
  • 1/4cup honey
  • 1teaspoon Salt
  • 3cups (16 1/2 ounces) bread flour
  • 1cup warm water, (about 110 degrees)
  • 3tablespoons baking soda
  • 2tablespoons coarse salt

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. 1. Mix together the yeast, honey, salt, flour, and water in the bowl of a standing mixer. Using the dough hook, knead at low speed until a smooth, elastic ball of dough forms (the dough will be quite stiff), 5 to 7 minutes.  The first time I have used my dough hook and I am glad I even knew where it was!
  2. Place the dough in a lightly oiled large bowl and turn the dough to coat with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at warm room temperature until doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Deflate the dough, cover, and let rise until nearly doubled in size again, 30 to 40 minutes.  In a cool dry kitchen you may have trouble.  I boiled water in a coffee cup in the microwave then left the bowl in there to rise.
  3. Meanwhile, adjust an oven rack to themiddle position and heat the oven to 450 degrees. Pour 6 cups water into a 12-inch skillet add the baking soda, stir, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray generously with vegetable cooking spray. Set aside.
  4. 4. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces (about 2 ounces each). Roll each piece into a 20-inch-long, 1/2-inch-wide rope. Shape each rope into a pretzel and place on the prepared baking sheet.  I found that rolling on the table was impossible.  It worked better to roll it between my hands and then use, what I called, the jump rope technique to stretch it out.


  5. Using a wire skimmer or slotted spoon, gently place the pretzels into the boilling water, top-side down (you should be able to fit 3 or 4 pretzels at a time), for 30 seconds. Using tongs, carefully flip the pretzels over and boil for 30 seconds longer. Remove the pretzels with a slotted spoon, drain well, and place back onto the prepared baking sheet (because the pretzels will not rise much in the oven, you should be able to fit all 12 pretzels on one baking sheet). 



    Sprinkle with coarse salt or sesame or poppy seeds (if using) and bake for 12 to 16 minutes, or until the pretzels are well-browned, turning the baking sheet halfway through the baking time. Remove the pretzels from the baking sheet to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.



 You may be able to make a batch and a half in a Kitchenaid Mixer, but beware it has to work pretty hard to mix the stretchy dough.  I have found that big soft pretzels also make great comfort food.

The week

Sunday:  Turkey meatloaf and baked potato with broccoli.  I divide the meatloaf into a cupcake tin, the girls love the cute little personal sized meatloaves.

Monday:  Flank steak fajitas with peppers and guacamole.  The fajitas I make are marinated with 1/2 cup italian dressing, 1/2 cup salsa, lime juice, and worcestershire.  They are the best.

Tuesday:  Tuna melt and CSA carrots.  These taste so much more "carrot-y" than the store bought baby carrots.  I think I almost forgot what carrot was supposed to taste like.

Wednesday:  My faux meatball spaghetti.  I try to trick them with portabella mushrooms.

Thursday:  It is starting to be chili weather.  The best with extra kidney beans and cornbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment