Saturday, January 11, 2014

Homemade Mac and Cheese: For when you want to actually eat it too.

Do all kids love mac and cheese?  I usually have a blue box around for a babysitter or quick lunch, and I always think it looks pretty good.  But one bite and I am done.  Does it taste like limp noodles and dehydrated cheese substance or is it just in my head?  I read the ingredients, it isn't all that bad, so I am not totally knocking the Kraft folks.  But occasionally I want to eat and enjoy some mac and cheese too.  For those times I use this recipe.


I hate it when recipes say that it is "just as easy as opening the box!".  Not true.  I made a brownie recipe that was supposed to be just as easy and I ended up with a pile of cocoa on the floor and a sink full of dishes, so I am skeptical.  This one isn't quite as easy as opening the box, but it is actually pretty close.  The only catch is that you have to keep a can of evaporated milk on hand.  The stuff lasts forever so just buy a few cans for next time.

One Skillet Macaroni and Cheese
adapted from Cook's Country


INGREDIENTS

  • 3 1/2cups water, plus extra as needed
  • 1(12-ounce) can evaporated milk *I did make it once when I didn't have a can of evaporated milk.  I used half and half instead and that worked just fine.
  • 12ounces (about 3 cups) elbow macaroni (see note)
  • Salt
  • 1teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1/2teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/4teaspoon hot sauce *I like Franks Red Hot.  It is hot, but not acidic.
  • 6ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups) 
  • 6ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups) *I don't always have monterey jack on hand, so have made it with the end of multiple different bags of shredded cheese and it always turns out great.
  • 3tablespoons unsalted butter *I usually use less, see what you like.
  • Ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. 1. Bring 3 1/2 cups water, 1 cup of the evaporated milk, the macaroni, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a simmer in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat. Cook at a vigorous simmer, stirring often, until the macaroni is tender and the liquid has thickened, 9 to 12 minutes.
    2. Whisk the remaining 1/2 cup evaporated milk, the cornstarch, mustard, and hot sauce together in a small bowl, then stir into the skillet. Continue to simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
    3. Off the heat, stir in the cheddar and Monterey Jack, one handful at a time, adding water as needed to adjust the consistency of the sauce. Stir in the butter, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

    Watch out because kids love this.  I was trying to hold off my two year old while I took a few photos and look what happened.  
    Feel free to add whatever you want to this stuff.  To make it a one skillet meal I have added broccoli or cauliflower, but my favorite is stewed or fresh tomatoes on top.
    The meal plan for the week
    Sunday and Monday:  I must make those cheeseburger pinwheels again.  Sunday with kale chips and Monday with salad.  I am slowly perfecting a recipe for kale chips, so soon I will blog about it.  My seven year old basically makes them.
    Tuesday:  Fried egg and asparagus sandwiches with melted parmesan.  I made these last week and didn't quite get it right.  They were still really good though, so I am curious how much better they can be.
    Wednesday:  Skillet ziti and salad
    Thursday:  Pork tenderloin with roasted potatoes and a balsamic reduction.  The girls all love this.
    Friday:  I'll make extra tenderloin on Thursday and turn it into pork tenderloin stroganoff with asparagus.  I am pushing the asparagus as I hope to get the littles to accept it and enjoy it.


2 comments:

  1. Love this thank you. Have to agree 99% of children do love the box mac, Bruce was also on the Mac Cheese Box train. When I was not home for a dinner or lunch that was the meal of the hour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Carolyn! I'll bet there is a box of Mac and Cheese hiding somewhere in most houses. I'll think of Bruce when I make it now:)

    ReplyDelete