Saturday, January 4, 2014

Homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches say "It Is Cold Outside."

If you are like me, cold weather triggers the tomato soup gene.  I wouldn't think of having tomato soup in the summer, but once it is freezing, for some reason tomato soup and grilled cheese sounds like the best combination ever invented.  My kids are all for this combo too.  It is rewarding to have them squeal with excitement when they see the food on the table.  If you follow my blog you may have seen the asparagus soup I made last spring.  It was good stuff.  I even topped it with parmesan toasts.  My children were not so impressed.  My four year old will occasionally ask for reassurance that I won't make it again.  They have asparagus soup-phobia.  But tomato soup, that will involve licking the bowl.




The tomato soup is awesome.  I love it.  Just remember when you use your blender to puree hot soup... take out the middle part of the top!  I didn't know this trick many years ago.  I pureed butternut squash soup all over my kitchen.  It is exceedingly messy and hot soup in the face is no fun either.

And for the grilled cheese, my favorite for a nice gooey one is a combination of sharp cheddar and monterey jack.  The jack adds the creaminess to the sharp flavorful (but kind of dry) cheddar.


Classic tomato soup

adapted (again) from Cook's Country


INGREDIENTs

  • 2(28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes (They suggest avoiding the seasoned variety, but that was all I had the first time I made this and it was great.  And a word to the summer tomato soup maker, they don't suggest the garden fresh tomato.  Too watery.)
  • 3/4cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 3tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1onion, chopped
  • 1bay leaf
  • 1teaspoon brown sugar
  • 2tablespoons tomato paste
  • 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2teaspoon baking soda (this foams up nicely, it neutralizes some of the acid and helps create the creamy end product, so don't skip it!)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/2cup heavy cream

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. 1. Drain tomatoes in colander set over large bowl, pressing lightly to release juices. Transfer tomato juice and chicken broth to large measuring cup (mixture should measure about 4 cups); reserve.
    2. Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add two-thirds of drained tomatoes, bay leaf, and brown sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes begin to brown, about 15 minutes.

    3. Add tomato paste and flour to pot and cook, stirring frequently, until paste begins to darken, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly stir in reserved tomato juice–broth mixture, remaining tomatoes, baking soda, and ½ teaspoon salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
    4. Discard bay leaf. Puree soup in batches. * Return pureed soup to pot and stir in cream. Season with salt and pepper. Serve. (Soup can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 3 days.)
    *Don't forget- take out that middle plastic part of the cover when you puree the soup.  I usually just lay a dish towel on top to be sure there are no splatters.  Not doing so will result in a volcano effect, believe me.

    The Meal Plan for the week
    This week I looked back through my blog posts and picked a few favorites to make again

    Saturday:  French dip made with brisket in the slow cooker and sweet potato fries that I make a nice sour cream lime dipping sauce for.
    Sunday:  Depending on the day I'll either make a pizza or hit the easy button and order one!
    Monday:  Planning on left over brisket.  Maybe I'll make a blue cheese panini out of it.
    Tuesday:  Turkey spaghetti with salad.  I'll buy those little fresh mozzarella balls and a tomato for the salad.
    Wednesday:  I saw this simple recipe on Cook's.  Fried egg with asparagus and parmesan.  We'll see, I'll add a crusty bake at home loaf too.
    Thursday:  Peanut lime chicken bowl.  A little gem I forgot all about.
    Friday:  I"ll use the left over chicken in a risotto with asparagus

No comments:

Post a Comment