Saturday, March 8, 2014

Slow cooker pork lettuce wraps with quick pickled vegetables

I don't even know if I can call this a recipe.  It is the easiest slow cooker meal ever.  I was inspired by a beautiful picture in my Williams Sonoma catalog.  You know how they show these photos that totally entice you to buy an overpriced piece of kitchen equipment that you will probably use one time.  I admit I did buy a waffle cone maker and haven't yet made a waffle cone, but do plan to...someday.  I bought it so I could make a homemade Choco Taco, summer blog to come on that someday too.



I just bought a 4 pound bone in pork shoulder and put it in the slow cooker with a bottle of Hoisin Garlic sauce from Soy Vay.  For prep work that was it.  I let it cook for 10 hours on low.  This creates an awesome rich smell in the house.  Then to serve I cut up a head of boston lettuce for the wraps.  The girls thought this was suspect but it was really light and refreshing with the rich meat.  And to accompany it I made a quick pickle of carrots, cucumber, jalapeno, and a little fresh ginger.  This was actually my husband's favorite part of the meal.  It is crunchy, sweet, and salty.  And it seems a lot more labor intensive that it really is.





Quick Pickled Vegetables
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 t salt
1 piece fresh peeled ginger
Julienned carrot, cucumber (seeded and peeled), jalapeno

Combine vinegar, sugar, and salt.  Whisk until dissolved.  Add vegetables and let sit in the refrigerator for a hour or more.


The weekly menu

Sunday and Monday:  Pork lettuce wraps
Tuesday:  Chicken pesto panini with arugula and mozzarella.  I just bought a big loaf of ciabatta and made one huge sandwich then cut it up.
Wednesday:  I used the left over chicken for tacos
Thursday:  Flank steak salad with red potatoes
Friday:  Sea perch with avocado cream sauce and Hmong Egg Rolls from the Hmong Center, can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment