Sunday, February 10, 2013

30 minute meal. Baked Cod with Crunchy Lemon-Herb Topping, red potatoes, and asparagus

Something just kept coming up.  We had more leftovers than expected.  We ended up having something else.  Whatever the reason, I was glad to finally get to make this tonight.  The fish is sealed with a mayo aioli, this keeps it moist and flaky.  The ritz topping gives it a buttery crunch.  All and all one of my favorite fish recipes.
To make this in 30 minutes, get the oven preheated to 450 pronto.  Then get started with the red potatoes.


To make them fast I start them in the microwave.  Just wash, prick with a fork, add a bit of water, and cover with plastic wrap.  It takes 4-5 minutes, but saves lots of time on the stove.  Then I cut them up and pan fry them with a little butter, salt, and pepper.  



While the potatoes are in the microwave I prepare the fish.  Dry with paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Place on a buttered pan.  Smear with mayonnaise mixture and press the ritz topping onto that.  Bake in a 450 degree oven for about 15 minutes.

Mayo Mix
3 T mayo
2 cloves minced garlic
1 t lemon zest and 1 T lemon juice
1 T fresh parsley or 1 t dried parsley flakes

Ritz topping
24 Ritz crushed
1 T fresh parsley or 1 t dried parsley flakes

4 skinless cod fillets (about 2 lbs)

Once I get the cod into the oven I prep the asparagus.  Wash, snap off the tougher ends, dry.  Place on a baking sheet and toss with a little olive oil.  Usually I just use kosher salt and pepper, but with the lemony fish I decided to season with lemon pepper.  This goes in the oven right along with the fish for about 10 minutes.



It really did all come together in 30 minutes.  And my 30 minutes isn't Rachel Ray's 30 minutes.  I am moving yes, but there is always time spent helping with homework, getting someone water, and giving some hugs.


No comments:

Post a Comment