Friday, May 9, 2014

Coconut cupcakes with coconut cream cheese frosting and white chocolate curls

Coconut oil seems to be the popular thing right now.  Put it in your baked goods or rub it on your legs! Pretty much works for anything.  I didn't really want to smell like a tropical drink, so decided to try it in my baked goods.  I found lots of vegan recipes with coconut oil.  It was used in place of butter or shortening in recipes.  To keep things simple I wanted to use a boxed cake mix and make my own frosting, so I used the coconut oil in both.




I have been meaning to make a coconut cake for months.  First it was going to be my Easter cake with some toasted coconut on top and a few jelly bean "eggs" in the "nest".  But Easter came and went.  The next event was the school picnic, so hoping kids appreciate the subtle flavor of coconut.


My first thought was how to replace the oil in the cake mix and then how to replace the butter in the cream cheese frosting.  Turns out it is pretty easy.  Just 1:1 and you get to choose weather to use it in solid or liquid form.  It melts at 76 degrees, so even depending on the day you might open the jar and find liquid or solid oil.  Today it was solid.  So to replace the vegetable oil I just microwaved it for a few seconds at a time until liquid and then followed the directions on the box.  For the frosting I just whipped it right in.



Coconut cream cheese frosting
1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil at room temperature (solid)
8 ounces of softened cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment beat the coconut oil to smooth it out.  Beat in the cream cheese on low increasing to medium speed until smooth.  Slowly add the powdered sugar.  You may want a little more or less depending on consistency.  Add the vanilla.  Slowly increase speed to high and beat until fluffy.


It seemed to be calling out for some garnish on top.  I nixed the toasted coconut for white chocolate shavings.  I just used a vegetable peeler to make curls of white chocolate from a baking bar.



The week's menu

Sunday:  It is mother's day so I am hoping for a mimosa at brunch and maybe just some baked roll up sandwiches for supper.
Monday:  Gorditas with lettuce and guacamole
Tuesday:  Panini of the week!  Prosciutto and mozzarella with arugula
Wednesday:  Gorgonzola pasta with wilted spinach and tomato
Thursday:  Grilled lemon chicken with broccoli and orzo
Friday:  Salmon and roasted vegetables

No comments:

Post a Comment