Wednesday, January 1, 2014

These are not sweet rolls.

I look forward to Christmas sweet rolls every year.  My aunt makes the same ones my grandma used to make.  So Christmas morning to me means sweet rolls in a Christmas tree shape with red and green maraschino cherries.  This year was no different.  I have a pavlov response to anything rolled up with a filling.

As I was making this weeks meal plan I just flipped through a few recipes on my favorite site and stumbled onto these... cheeseburger pinwheels?  But they look just like sweet rolls!  I was intrigued and had to try them.  Here is where meal planning pays off... did I have Bisquick around?  No.  But with it on my list- I headed off to the grocery store.




cheeseburger pinwheels

adapted from Cook's Country

INGREDIENTS


  • 1pound 90 percent lean ground beef (ground turkey would work too!)
  • 1/2teaspoon salt
  • 1/2teaspoon pepper
  • 1onion, chopped fine (I added a some garlic and no onions)
  • 3tablespoons ketchup
  • 1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1tablespoon spicy brown mustard
  • 8ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)  (I used lower fat dairy for this and the milk)
  • 2 3/4cups Bisquick baking mix
  • 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2/3cup whole milk (I needed just a bit more to make dough that stuck together)

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. 1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Line 13 by 9-inch baking dish with parchment paper and spray with vegetable oil spray. Heat beef, salt, and pepper and cook, breaking up pieces with spoon, until well browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in onion or garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Off heat, stir in ketchup, Worcestershire, and mustard; set aside to cool slightly, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1 cup cheddar.

    2. Combine Bisquick, remaining 1 cup cheddar, and cayenne in large bowl. Stir in milk until incorporated. Form dough into ball and transfer to lightly floured counter. Roll dough into 14 by 9-inch rectangle, with long sides parallel to edge of counter. Spread hamburger mixture evenly over dough, leaving 1/2-inch border on long sides. Roll into tight log, slice into 8 equal pieces, and place cut side down in prepared baking dish. Press each pinwheel to 1-inch thickness. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, then separate pinwheels. Serve.
    The Meal Plan
    Sunday:  Cheeseburger pinwheels with broccoli and baked potato
    Monday and Tuesday:  I made chicken in the Crockpot on Monday and turned it into pulled BBQ chicken on Monday and soft chicken tacos on Tuesday.  This is an old standby, but I need new ideas!  Anyone use Crockpot shredded chicken as a staple?  Please share your ideas!
    Wednesday (New Years Day):  Flank steak salad with goat cheese rounds and new potatoes.
    Thursday:  Classic Tomato Soup (I capitalized because this is awesome).  Grilled cheese.
    Friday:  Baked cod with lemon/ritz topping, more broccoli (yay!), orzo

No comments:

Post a Comment