Sunday, August 4, 2013

Blue Raspberry Lemonade Cupcakes

There are times when you really just need a cake.  But cake is just a little bland, don't you think?  No offense to you cake lovers out there.  But, frosting.  I do love frosting.  And really what is cake but a vehicle for frosting?  Chocolate, or cream cheese, or that cheap store bought frosting that has so much sugar that it is crunchy, all good.  I eat the frosting and leave the cake.  So when I make a cake or cupcakes, I admit to using a mix.  I have spent the time to do it from scratch and, nope, still not in love with it.  When you are busy you have to put your time where it counts...the frosting.



I meant to do this and planned to do this and even thought ahead and had ingredients.  But when the moment came.... we just had to tell the girls that they are getting a brother.  I didn't have the heart to hold off and bake secret cupcakes and go through the motions of not knowing... so we told.  And I still made the cupcakes I had been planning on.  They are fun regardless and so yummy (the frosting anyway) and could rightly be used for a surprise cake (pink or blue gummy?) or just special shower cupcakes.  So the real name for this creation is:



Gender Reveal Blue Raspberry Gummy Bear Lemonade Cupcakes!

One box mix of vanilla or other favorite cake flavor
Pink or blue gummy bears (I used blue raspberry)

1 stick butter softened
1 8oz container cream cheese softened
4 T frozen lemonade concentrate (thawed)
3 cups powdered sugar

Make the cupcakes according to directions.  I tried initially plopping the gummy right into the uncooked batter of the cupcake.  I got sticky gummy bear bottoms.  So then I tried cooking the cupcake half way and then pushing a gummy bear into the partially baked batter and then finishing them off.  Voila!  Perfect gummy bear surprise!



For the frosting beat the butter and cream cheese until fluffy, add the lemonade concentrate and mix well.  Slowly add the powdered sugar until the right consistency for you.



The week in preview
Sunday:  Hearty farm fresh corn chowder and crusty garlic bread
Monday and Tuesday:  Weekday chili with buttery naan
Wednesday:  Pan seared ravioli with peas, bacon, and mint

No comments:

Post a Comment