Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My best version of Michael's Peanut Butter Cup Sundae

If you know Madison, you have probably had custard at Michael's.  Since moving away I have been dreaming of the peanut butter cup sundae...literally dreaming.  I haven't found anything like it.  Vanilla custard covered with thin peanut butter sauce and then Magic Shell-esque chocolate.  But this stuff is really thick and rich, it gets too hard to cut with the spoon so you are forced to pick up gigantic pieces of chocolate and gnaw on them.


Disclaimer- this is the moderation part of Avocado and Beer.  Not meant to have every night or served in large portions, but enjoyed fully.  First I tried to get the Magic Shell stuff right.  Turns out this is surprisingly (and way too) easy.

Homemade Magic Shell
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 T vegetable oil
Melt the chips in the microwave and then stir in oil until combined.

I did try this with coconut oil (as suggested on the internet) as well as vegetable oil.  The coconut oil was supposed to be closer to the original Magic Shell... it did recreate the thin breakable characteristics, but left an unpleasant coconut taste at the end.  And what I wanted was thicker richer.

I had to try two versions of peanut sauce as well.  The original was too thick, too grainy, and not peanut butter-y enough.  I finally found a version that is surprisingly close to my favorite chocolate sauce recipe.  It starts with the same ingredients, but instead of melting in the chocolate chips at the end, you melt in the peanut butter.  This one was so rich, salty, peanut butter-y perfect.

Best Peanut Butter Sauce
1/2 c whipped cream
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c corn syrup
2 T butter
1 t vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter
salt to taste

In a small pot stir together the first four ingredients and heat until just bubbling and butter is melted.  Off heat stir in vanilla, PB, and salt until combined.

To recreate the custard I drove through Culvers and bought two pints of vanilla custard.  I happened to be alone on the way home from work.  The woman gave me the two pints of ice cream with a few napkins and a spoon.  I felt like I needed to explain myself...  And so after suffering four nights of attempts we declared victory!

Week in Review with photos to prove we ate healthy the rest of the time!

Sunday:  Cilantro lime grilled shrimp with cilantro/corn/rice and guacamole



Monday:  Turkey feta burger with my own version of Tzatziki sauce


Tuesday and Wednesday:  Spaghetti and meatballs.  I prepped these meatballs on Monday and used the same turkey burger, feta, panko mix.



Thursday:  Ham and turkey roll up sandwiches with salad
Friday: Halibut and Parmesan pea soup with Parmesan crisps

No comments:

Post a Comment