Saturday, October 26, 2013

Crazy mix up with Breakfast Pie for supper

Whenever I ask my girls what they want for supper I hear some crazy things.  Hummus!  Chips and salsa!  Breakfast!  Breakfast... for supper is a favorite around here, for some reason this crazy mix up is just enough to get the girls all excited about supper.  A few weeks ago I blogged about Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole, which is awesome if you have time to "make ahead".  But if you are down to the wire and have just four eggs on hand consider the Breakfast Pie.  My skeptic husband even loved it, he said it trumped the casserole!

We all loved this recipe and what made it even more special is my 7 year old's contribution.  She is my salsa lover.  I have a big box of generous-neighbor tomatoes and have been making salsa, but my salsa motivation was wearing off.  So she decided to take over.  With my supervision only she prepped the tomatoes, jalapeno, red pepper, garlic, salt, pepper, and lime juice.  She even pulsed it in the food processor.  So we ended up having breakfast pie with homemade salsa.

Breakfast Pie
Adapted from Cooks Country


INGREDIENTS
  • 1tablespoon unsalted butter, softened, plus 2 tablespoons melted
  • 3tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
  • 8ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (2 cups).  I used some havarti that I had on hand... remember that Fraiser episode?  "Havarti?  Gouda!"
  • 4ounces thickly sliced deli ham, chopped
  • 4scallions, minced
  • 1/2cup (2 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
  • 3/4teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4teaspoon salt
  • 1cup half-and-half
  • 4large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1/8teaspoon ground nutmeg
INSTRUCTIONS
  • 1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9-inch pie plate with softened butter, then coat plate evenly with Parmesan.
  • 2. Combine Gruyère, ham, and scallions in bowl. Sprinkle cheese-and-ham mixture evenly in bottom of prepared pie dish. 


    3.  Combine flour, baking powder, pepper, and salt in now-empty bowl. Whisk in half-and-half, eggs, melted butter, mustard, and nutmeg until smooth. Slowly pour batter over cheese-and-ham mixture in pie dish.

  • 4. Bake until pie is light golden brown and filling is set, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Slice into wedges. Serve warm.


    The weekly menu
    Thursday:  Unwrapped Chicken Cordon Bleu.  I have ham to use up!
    Friday:  Salmon with greek orzo and cucumber salad
    Monday and Tuesday:  I am excited about this one!  I found an ingenious slow cooker recipe that cooks the potatoes nestled right in the pot.  When all done you fish them out and make mashed potatoes!
    Wednesday:  My favorite steak fajitas and lots of peppers
    Thursday:  Halloween!  Bloody bones and fearsome apples.  Ha ha ha ha!!  In other words premade pizza dough rolled into bones and dunked in pizza sauce and apples with almond sliver mouths.  I'll take some photos:)

No comments:

Post a Comment